Sunday, May 17, 2009

Coming soon through a birth canal near you....

So… here’s some news. Gavin and I are all set to spawn in mid- November! Get excited! We are just now into our second trimester (I like how I say “we” even though “we” won’t be popping the puppy out of “our” area. Not fair. Blog for another time…).

Anyway, we don’t know the sex yet, but there are a few things we are pretty sure we do know about the Burby.

First, this will probably be the whitest baby you have ever seen. Get your sunglasses ready. I hope the little guy/gal wasn’t hoping for a golden-tan complexion, because it's just not on the genetic menu.

Second, the Burglet is sure to be a smartass of epic proportions. I mean, look at the parents. And the grandparents. And the aunts and uncles and cousins. When Gav and I got together, it was basically a perfect storm of smartass, and looking back over several generations, it is evident that the assh’le doesn’t fall far from the tree. So everyone just get ready.

For example, at our 12 week ultrasound, as you can see below, the Burglet was moving around and waving at the camera, workin' it like s/he owns my uterus. Typical! Gavin and I also agree that the Burby looks a little like Strong Bad in this frontal shot.

Burglet.



Strong Bad.

As a side note, I feel a little weird posting these ultrasound pics on the web, because basically it’s like saying, hey everyone, check out my uterus. Normally that’s a private part, but then someone moves in and all of a sudden it’s acceptably on display for everyone. I’ll try not to think of it that way, because I’m pretty sure all my dignity will be gone at the end of this process anyway, and let's face it, after this experience, that ship may have already sailed.

So the preg and all the things that go along with it will prob be making an appearance in the blog from time to time, but I don’t intend to become one of those bloggers I looooathe and blog solely about pregnancy and mommyhood. I’m pretty sure most of the content will stay the same, so stick with me!

So that’s our news. Talk amongst yourselves….

12 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

WHOHOO! Congratulations!!!! This post is hilarious, and I can only imagine the others - and watch out, you SAY you won't become "one of those bloggers," but I warn you! It just starts consuming! Anyway, so happy for y'all...and, uterus just becomes another household word post-conception :-)

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Betsy. This is going to be one exciting year!
(strongbad...lol)

nikki webb said...

be careful what you say you'll never do. many of us have eaten those words...

I laughed out loud and jodie choked on his salad when i read your number 1 out loud to him...classic! you never know...maybe the burby will have Aunt Nikki's ability to catch some rays! (insert jealousy here). The smartass trait runs strong, though. You're probably "dead-on balls" accurate on that prediction.

SO EXCITED!

E. Peterman said...

Congratulations, Betsy! It's going to be a heck of a ride - and never, ever dull. (Well, except when they ask you to read "Pumpkin Soup" for the 300th time. But otherwise ...")

Karen said...

Betsy, we are so excited for you! I believe our little Luke may have baby Burgi beat on the white gene. Tim and I are about as fair skin as they come. Good luck with the pregnancy and please keep us updated! Congrats, kids are awesome!

Elizabeth said...

AHHHHHH!!!!! I am SO SO SO excited for yall! I was on the phone with Jennifer when I checked your blog and she was mid sentence when I said "Oh my gosh--did you know Betsy was pregnant???" She didn't. CONGRATS!!!! I had to read the post out loud to Kurt b/c I was snorting whilest reading it I was laughing so hard!

kellymartinau said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! Congratulations! So exciting! Can't wait to read the updates!

Amy said...

Ha - you think you'll have better things to blog about post-baby! I also thought I would NEVER ask the drive through person at Chick-fil-A if I could have the milk jug with a girl picture on it instead of a boy picture (Lauren has her preferences). Best wishes!

Ashley said...

You know I am so happy I saw you Saturday night and got this important news in person! ;-) CONGRATULATIONS! And when the time comes for me and Jeremy to procreate, there will be some tough competition with you for who has the whitest baby. Game on! LOL I really am so happy for you both!

Vica said...

CONGRATS! I am so excited for the two of you. The two of you are going to have a blast. And I will fully support baby updates on the blog along with the other witty banter you provide.

Emily Chappell said...

Bets Congrats! I am excited for you! And very happy that you pledge to keep the blog at smartassish as usual. You can do it. You will be my hero, as many have fallen victim to too much baby stuff.

Mom2 said...

Dad and I are are beyond happy.....love to you both.