Friday, May 8, 2009

Social Notworking


So everyone pretty much knows I love Facebook. Really I just straight up love the internet, because how else would I be able to spew my vitriol to potentially infinite numbers of people without my blog and FB? Without the internet I’d be lost, a much more frustrated malcontent, instead of the temporarily sated one I am today. But enough about me.

I love FB because I have reconnected with a plethora of folks from my past that I thought I’d never hear from again, mostly from college and law school. It’s not that I didn’t want to keep in touch with these cats, but you see, and this may come as a surprise to you, I’ve always been a bit of a social butterfly. I made a lot of friends at old AU and FSU, and I always figured it would just be impossible to keep up with them all. Enter Facebook. What a magical invention, bringing people back together, like when Moses parted the red sea, but in reverse.

Of course, FB isn’t perfect, you have to be careful or it will steal your life. And sometimes, things get awkward. If you’ve been on FB long enough you know what I’m talking about. Here is a list of the top uncomfortable situations FB generates.

1) You accept a friend and then almost immediately regret it because of the inane status updates this person insists on punishing the FB world with. I have had to “call the drop” sorority-rush style on several FB friends because of this balderdash. Green to keep, red to drop. Red. It may be harsh, but I like to participate when Jeopardy comes on, and therefore I don’t have brain cells to waste reading status updates having to do with the regularity of your child’s bowel movements. Gross me out.

2) Someone posts something on a friend’s wall that clearly should have been sent as a private message, but since it’s on the wall, everyone can read the private/inappropriate thought. Awwwwkward. But sometimes awesome.

3) Someone tags you in a photo and you immediately have to untag yourself because you don’t look awesome.

4) Quizzes, applications, random requests for random stuff like roundhouse kicks and drinks and mafia names. WTF. I’m a purist. I’m just here to communicate.

5) Friends’ parents on FB. Inevitably, a grown-up will eventually want to friend you. When this happens, you will find yourself teetering precariously on the horns of a dilemma. Sure, you can restrict their access to your pics, but still. What about your hilarious and sarcastic status updates that let’s face it, they probably just won’t get? But if you don’t accept them, you will potentially hurt their feelings. Quandary. Chances are, though, that these folks will tire quickly of the newfangled invention. You just have to wait them out. Or decide to not care.

But overall, yay for Facebook.

8 comments:

nikki webb said...

My biggest quandary is when i receive an invite from someone i have no recollection of whatsoever. what do you do when that happens? Invite them to look at your personal pictures and thoughts? Or Ignore the request like a mean-girl from high school?!
DILEMMA

I'm with you on number 4! Currently i have hundreds of requests/invitations to partake in things like the oregon trail and birthday requests...even one from the belgian beer fan club...???
I do enjoy the quizzes from time to time though, but I NEVER invite others to do one. I always skip that page.

Unknown said...

What is this "Facebook" of which you speak?

Betsy said...

I generally accept people I don't remember, because it will usually come back to me after a while.

I should have mentioned that Gavin is a caveman and refuses to jump on the FB bandwagon.

E. Peterman said...

I draw the line at Mafia Wars, poking, inviting people to take quizzes and tagging everyone in notes. And then there are the people you sorta know but don't really like all that much, and they friend you anyway. God, that sounds HORRIBLE.

Ashley said...

I'm with Nikki - I never know what to do. I'm like "do I really know this person???" But I don't want them to think I'm rude by not "befriending" them. And I'm with you on #5 - it was completely weird when Mrs. Daniell AND my mom joined FB. But luckily neither of them knows how to use it!

Gavin - Jeremy won't join the bandwagon either. You two will have to settle with being friends the old fashion way.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I have pruned quite a few friends from my list becuase of there hourly status updates. It is an odd thing ... "At dinner with my husband for our anniversary." Really? Your updating your status while on a date with your husband ...

Don't even get me started on the Easter Eggs and Christmas ornamants. I wish I could deliver a virtual roundhouse kick to the face to anyone who sends me that crap.

Jeanna said...

Sometimes I do post absolutely unremarkable events in my life as status updates and then wonder why nobody posts a reply. In other words, I am the person you are making fun of!?!?!

In my defense, I totally thought the Easter eggs were not worth the three seconds it took to accept them(and did not engage at all). So, there is hope for me. Right?

Betsy said...

Ahhh Jeanna. This is awkward.... Just kidding - I totally didn't mean you - I'm talking more about the "I'm in love with my husband, my child, and Jesus! I'm so blessed!" status updates that alter the variation of this particular theme about every 10 minutes. I'm such an ass.