Wednesday, May 20, 2009

If you're like me, and uncomfortable situations make you laugh.....

So one of my favorite websites is this one where folks submit various passive-aggressive notes that they have received for everyone’s enjoyment.

It is pretty hilarious, because who hasn’t received one of these in their lifetimes? It's only human nature to communicate this way: I want to confront you, but I don't want to do it in person, because I'll look like an asshole, even though I have to be aware that I end up looking like an asshole ultimately anyway, but I'm still going to do this. Facebook has added an exciting new dimension to this communication genre, because it's leaving a PA note for someone that everyone else gets to read. Delicious.

I don't recall ever leaving anybody one of these. I'm more of a "suffer in silence and avoid confrontation at any cost" type person when it comes to my interpersonal relationships, but I have gotten a few. There was that time in law school circa 2003 when my Russian PhD student neighbors upstairs left me about a two-page note about how Maddie barks when I’m not there. It was a great note, complete with lots of incorrect English. I hope they were studying physics or something. You could tell they were really trying to be polite before calling management and having me kicked out or my new skinny scruffy separation-anxiety suffering shelter dog hauled to a Gulag pound.

Then there was that one in Denver circa 2006 when my friends and I rented a white Expedition (or was it an Excursion) and didn’t quite know how to park its huge Expedition/Excursion ass. That elicited a hastily scrawled “Nice park job, asshole” on an index card attached to the windshield wiper. We laughed for days at that one.

Anyway, the site is funny – make sure you read the brief blurbs accompanying the notes so you get the contexts – it makes it even more hilarious. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Cara said...

Amy carries cards in her purse that say "you park like a jerk" you guys are too funny.

meg said...

look, bets. its hard to park an expedition with 9 screaming/singing drunk girls in the back. i was just proud we made it home.

Ashley said...

I remember that note from the neighbors. I contemplated writing one back that said we'd shut Maddie up if they'd stop stomping around like a herd of elephants! LOL

Betsy said...

Meg - I loved that "park job" - I thought it was great. All I remember about that ride home is "Hanging Around" and "Yeah!" haha

Ashley - you always had my back! No kidding, those crazy Russians and their kids sounded like they were playing basketball or something up there - WTF!

Anonymous said...

See on a hair salon sign down the road from my house, "Crime doesn't pay you Rat Bastards!" I am guessing there was a break in at Pecans Salon in Loganville.