Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Ok, here they are, folks. I hope you can all help me achieve the following resolutions this year. I expect you to make it a priority.

1) Read one edifying non-fiction book per month. I enjoy fiction books, but I realize that I need to read more non-fiction, learny-type books so I can continue to grow my intellect. That is something good non-fiction books will do for you. Not to knock the Twilight series, but I'm pretty sure reading fiction specifically written for the 14-year-old girl demographic won't broaden my horizons or teach me anything new, except maybe how vampire boys are sooo cute, like I didn't already know that.

I realize all too well that many of you think I deserve a beating for these Twilight comments (my tires will probably be slashed five minutes after I post this), but I read half of the first installment for my book club, and actually felt my IQ drop several points. (Yes, I am an ass, but I'm only trying to get a leg up on resolution #2, see below.)

I generally enjoy the educational non-fiction books I read, (The Nine, And the Band Played On, A Civil Action, The Millionaire Next Door, Good to Great, etc.) so this shouldn't be too difficult. I will even be so kind as to share what I learn, right here on the blog. You're so lucky to know me.

2) More sarcasm. Increased quality and quantity. Because there can never be enough.

3) Spend more weekends at home. The traveling has gotten a little out of control. I will be traveling even more for work this year, and I tend to get burned out if I am traveling all over the place numerous weekends in a row or 3 out of 4 weekends a month. Enough. I need some free weekends to regroup, clean my house, do laundry, go on dates with Gavin. I say this like it will actually happen. I'm always on the move and that probably won't change in '09.

4) Keep up the gym activities. A few years ago I read an article in a fitness magazine that advised doing 200 minutes of cardio per week. So, I made a resolution to do this. I had more time back then, so I started out doing 40 minutes 5 days per week. As time has gone on and I've taken on more responsibilities at work, I now do 50 minutes 4 days per week, to cut down on the number of trips to the gym.

I like how it's going; it's not easy, but manageable, and no one has had to dress me in tents or move me with a crane since I started, so my resolution is to keep it up and not fall behind.

5) I resolve not to sweat the small stuff. I need to let things roll off my back more this year. F it. That's my new motto.

And that's it folks. I think that's enough. Let's hear your book suggestions!

10 comments:

meg said...

Way to go Bets. I second all of your thoughts on Twilight--except I didn't even waste my time reading any of it.

I like that 200 minutes a week number. I dont think I could resolve to do that--trooper, you are!

nikki webb said...

here are some Non-Fiction Titles that have interested me as of late:
For Learning:
"American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House" by Jon Meacham
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/American-Lion/Jon-Meacham/e/9781400063253/

For fun:
"Dewey: The Small town Library Cat who Touched the World"
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Dewey/Vicki-Myron/e/9780446407410/

For Thought:
"The Last Lecture", by Randy Pausch
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Last-Lecture/Randy-Pausch/e/9781401323257/

Let me know what you think if you read any of the above!

Anonymous said...

Bets,

I am fond of #3, I need more dates with Hill! We went on one last night - dinner at Tokyo and a movie (Four Christmases.) We had such a great time - after being together 16 years (married 14 of them) it is nice to know we still LOVE being alone together! :)

I am inspired by your cardio resolution. I vow to THINK about doing cardio 200 minutes a week. (It is a start!)

I do have a suggestion however - a couple times a week - instead of the gym - you and Gavin should take walks together - see how fast you can go while still holding hands and a leash. (Give Gavin Sugar B!) (Wow! I just discovered a great hip-hop name - Sugar-B!)

I also vow to use parenthesis more in my written communication. (Love 'em!)

Happy New Year - little sis!

Vica said...

Great resolutions!
Couple Books that are awesome
Flags of our fathers &fly boys by James Bradley
The unwanted (technically this is a biography but it is great)
Thwse are pretty sad graphic books but are awesome.

Betsy said...

Another great book that I recommend, besides the ones I mentioned, is Life on the Color Line. GREAT book. Read about it here.

http://www.vccaedu.org/inquiry/inquiry-fall98/i31neale.html

Unknown said...

My resolution is to read more Cliff's Notes.

Anonymous said...

Bets,

My sister, so proud of you...let's face it, your just awesome...

Here's a book suggestion...Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee...

Love the blog.

Andy

Sherry Tomberlin said...

Love the resolutions! I can't wait to read about the books you read - I could use a little more non-fic in my life too.

E. Peterman said...

Good resolutions! And I'm with you on Twilight. That book could have been 150 pages shorter, and I'm not bitter that it is a multi-million dollar franchise. No, not at all. I'd like to read a John Adams bio next.

Ashley said...

Ok, I will follow your move about confessions. Here it goes: I LOVED the Twilight series. Yes, you read that right. I didn't think I would, but somehow I was drawn in. And yes, the writing is very elementary and it got on my nerves a lot, but I still couldn't put the books down. There ya go. Now you know my secret.

Also, I'm very proud of you and the gym. I on the other suck at working out. Haven't gotten back into a real routine since our wedding - yes, over 2 years ago. I'm sad and pathetic.

Ok, a non-fiction book I tried to read for my office book club: Team of Rivals. It's about Lincoln's presidency. It's REALLY long and IMO boring. I did not enjoy the writing style. But you might. Let me know if you are interested.

And I second resolutions 3 and 5. I definitely need to follow you in those footsteps!