Saturday, January 3, 2009

Movie Review: Milk


I've been wanting to see this movie for a while. Actually, this is probably one of those movies you'd call a film, since it was only playing at the off-beat theater that generally only shows films. You can see movies down at the mall, but you have to go to this particular theater to see a film.

A few years back I read a fascinating non-fiction book called "And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts, an investigative journalist with the San Francisco Chronicle in the '80s. The book explains how the AIDS virus first infiltrated the United States, and clearly illuminates the socio-cultural factors that caused it to spread so fast through the gay community and permeate the heterosexual community as well.

The title of the book is an apt reference to the historical fact that, as the Titanic sank, the band continued to play and play, as though nothing was wrong. The title is a brilliant choice because the book reveals how the gay community, and the medical community, lived in denial about the disease (each community for its own interesting reasons) even when all the signs were there, until it was too late to contain it. It really is a fascinating book, and I recommend it highly, particularly if you like to learn.

The book is largely based in San Francisco, and contains numerous references to Harvey Milk, the first openly gay elected official in the U.S., so when I heard this movie was coming out I decided I definitely wanted to see it for two main reasons: 1) It provides more of a backdrop to the book, as it takes place in the late 70s, while the book takes place in the 80s, and 2) Because it has to do with the evolution of civil rights in America, which, as a legal professional, I am always interested in learning about.

I was not disappointed. 5 stars. It was an excellent movie, inspirational and entertaining. Sean Penn is really an exceptionally talented actor, and I'm not one to hand out that kind of praise lightly. I don't see that many movies, because I don't really like most of the drivel that oozes out of Hollywood these days and feel like my time is better spent reading, but this movie was well worth the time and money. Shout-out to my friend Jana for going with me.

Other movies I want to see right now: Benjamin Button, Valkyrie, Doubt, and Marley & Me. Note that this is unusual because I currently want to see 4 movies and normally that number is 0.

I hope to see BB this weekend, so I'll post my thoughts, even though most of you have probably seen it by now.

Also want to thank my sisters Nikki and Maria and my cousin Amy for all the haikus they composed in the comments section of my last post. You guys are so talented, really... smartasses... (one can clearly see how it runs in the family).

1 comment:

E. Peterman said...

I really want to see this movie! Thanks for posting a review. Another good one, though it's gone now, is "Rachel Getting Married." I'd love to know what you think of it.