Sunday, January 25, 2009

Frost/Nixon Movie Review

Yesterday, Gavin and I caught the matinee of Frost/Nixon. Essentially, it's a movie about a series of interviews between a British talk-show host and Richard Nixon shortly after Nixon's resignation and fall from grace.

This was one of those movies that is so interesting that it makes you want to go home and research the subject matter a little more. The movie opens shortly after Gerald Ford gave Nixon a full pardon with regard to his role in the Watergate fiasco. This move, while some debate was necessary to help the nation move forward, was highly controversial, and left many Americans feeling completely unsatisfied and angry that Nixon, by virtue of his stature as President, would never face justice like a regular citizen would.

The purpose of the interviews was to elicit honest answers from Nixon about his role in the Watergate cover-up, and ultimately, to get an apology. How Frost manages to pull this off is the most compelling aspect of the movie. The acting is phenomenal. I expected the movie to demonize Nixon, but it really didn't. Surprisingly, it portrayed him rather sympathetically as a human being wracked with regret.

If you lived through the Watergate scandal, you will probably enjoy this stroll down memory lane. If you just like history, politics, or tales of real life scandal and conspiracy, like me, I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

meg said...

nice!

looking forward to seeing it...

nikki webb said...

dying to see it but won't get to. i'll rent it when my kids are in college. Will be watching Hotel for Dogs soon, though.

Ashley said...

We probably won't see this in the theater, but because of your review, I'll add it to Netflix to watch when it's on DVD.

Anonymous said...

FYI - Hotel for Dogs is a treat!

Maybe Hill and I will go see Frost/Nixon together - since this is as close to a chick flick as I will get if I want to go to a movie with my hubby.