Monday, January 5, 2009

Full Read Ahead

Well, I am hitting the ground running with my resolutions. Yesterday I went to the 'brary and got my first didactic (this word means learny - another resolution is to expand my vocabulary) book of the year.

It's called "The Fall and Rise of the Islamic State" and it is very interesting. I read about half of it last night. Go me! It is essentially about how the people of some middle eastern countries want to go back to an ancient government system founded in Islamic law (the Shar'ia) as opposed to maintaining a more modern secular government system with some semblance of division between church and state (or in this case, mosque and state), and how this shift would affect the rest of the world. Very interesting. It also doesn't hurt that it was written by this Harvard Professor.... Rawr.



Ok, confession time. Sometimes I am scared of homeless people. This is unfortunate, because I love the downtown library, and apparently that is where homeless people love to hang out. I have to pass by them and not give them money almost every time I enter. It's sad because they are often intoxicated or have obvious psychiatric problems. Yesterday I almost tripped over an empty broken bottle of chardonnay on my way up the stairs and it was obvious to me how it got there. Sorry if this makes me appear insensitive - I'm not proud of it - that's why it's a confession. I'm sure they're harmless, but the fact is they scare me... especially the ones that talk to themselves. If anyone has suggestions in this regard, I'll be happy to take them.

What else, what else. Oh yes - the Florida Gators are playing for the National Championship Thursday night. I'll be cheering on my husband's team, you know, to support my Chinchilla. I recently received an authentic Gators wifebeater from Gainesville (I'm not kidding) as a gift (thanks Mary!) which, yes, I will be wearing for the game. No jorts though - that's where I draw the line. At jorts.

Thanks everyone for the book suggestions - keep them coming!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They're not "harmless," they're "homeless."

Sherry Tomberlin said...

volunteer @ a soup kitchen. If you have a positive experience with a few homeless people, maybe it will ease your fears.

Ashley said...

Don't feel bad Bets - I'm with you. They scare me as well and I end up finding myself crossing the street so as to not walk directly by them. :-( I'm a horrible person too.