Friday, May 16, 2008

Chicken Betrayal.

So I think I may have experienced a first this week: food poisoning. Picture it: Monday night, I'm toiling away, chopping up raw chicken tenderloins to make delicious chicken and rice. The next day at work I'm feeling a little weird. Next thing I know I'm wretching and running a fever, with chills and night sweats. It was terrible! I actually had to call in sick to work on Wednesday. After googling my symptoms and the timing of their onset, I have concluded that it was from handling the raw chicken.

This is quite the betrayal, because I was very careful about washing my hands and the cutting board, disinfecting everything after I was done, and cooking the chicken very thoroughly. Gavin, who only ate the cooked chicken, was fine. I played by the rules. We had a pact, and chicken broke it. And that's unfortunate, because now my relationship with chicken is damaged. To what extent? Well that I just don't know. Too soon to tell. I'm pretty sure I won't be purchasing raw chicken for a while. Our relationship may rekindle with Chik-fil-a in a few weeks.

Anyway, this weekend I'm heading to P'cola to see the fam! Yay! Should be fun - hopefully I will have some good pics to post. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2 comments:

meg said...

yuck. i've been there. I had chicken fingers for lunch one day and by 7pm that night i was in the hospital.

I haven't even so much as thought of eating at that restaurant again. I must hold more of a grudge than you.

Betsy said...

Yeah, the problem here is that I really can’t blame a restaurant. It happened at home, so I can blame myself or chicken in general. I guess I can blame the grocery store, but I can’t hate that place too much without inconveniencing myself, so I blame chicken as a food for now. Maybe I’ll cool down. I really don’t know Meg. I really don’t know.