Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Bark Stops Here

Well, Gavin and I have finally reached our limit and have decided to get Maddie a Bark collar. Six years overdue.

Now, I don't have to tell you people how much I love that furry little a-hole. It's evident from the multiple posts devoted completely to her and her lovable antics. However, she is now going on 7 years old and the barking is just as bad or worse than ever. It's embarrassing when we let her out in the morning - I'm pretty sure we're "those neighbors" with the loud-ass barking dog that won't ever shut up. We try to bring her in quickly when she gets going, but we're usually not fast enough to avoid pissing off the whole neighborhood.
So, here's the deal. Basically, every time the dog barks, the collar sprays citronella into the dog's face. It doesn't hurt the dog, but the dog gets annoyed and avoids the activity that causes it to be sprayed. I'm thinking this is great - no barking and no bugs either... just in time for summer! It's about time Maddie started pulling some weight around here.
We haven't ordered it yet but probably will this week. Here's a picture of what the collar does. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the progress!



2 comments:

nikki webb said...

I am literally laughing out loud looking at the picture of the well behaved golden retriever smiling while getting hosed with citronella. That has to be photo shopped. I doubt Mad-Dog will take it as well. Whatever happened to good ole electroshock therapy?

meg said...

Char had a bark collar...

it sent out a very high pitched sound but you had to do some other training with it. and, well, the only realy training that girl got from me was not to use the bathroom in the house...so, needless to say, the bark collar is now sitting in the bottom of her basket in the storage closet.

I am sure Maddie will be a non barker in no time! I'm anxious to hear how it works.