Wednesday, February 13, 2008

God Loves a Terrier...

One of my favorite movies of all time is Best in Show. It's a Christopher Guest movie (think Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind, Spinal Tap, etc.) about dog shows. It is hysterically funny. Anyway, I thought about it the past two nights as I have been watching the Westminster dog show. I love watching the toy group (the pekingese is so fascinatingly weird looking) and the terrier groups of course (creative facial fur).

Of course these things always get me thinking about my dogs. They are both rescue dogs, so we don't know their breeds, really. It's not like they have papers with ridiculous names like "Johnson's Sugar Ferry in the Nighttime Mist" or something like that, but we think we have a pretty good idea of what they are, for the most part. Maddie is clearly mostly a Jack Russell (now known as Parson Russell) Terrier. Check it out. Compare the perfectly bred JRT (top)with my baby Maddie!





And compare and contrast the perfect lab (top)with my baby Sugarbear! (bottom)























Clearly my shelter dogs need DNA tests. They could be models! They are even better looking than their "perfect" counterparts. I honestly think we are going to get them tested for their breeds. You can buy these test kits now - I saw it on the Today show and we gave one to my parents-in-law for Christmas for their pound puppy Sable. You just swab the inside of the cheek, then send it off to the lab, and they tell you the different breeds that make up your dog (up to 38 different breeds)! It's amazing. Science H Logic! Anyway, the tests are kind of pricy but I just really want to know what other less obvious breeds my dogs might be mixed with. If any of you are interested, check it out for yourselves: http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2a.html

4 comments:

meg said...

that's so interesting! So, what did sable come back as?

Betsy said...

Sable turned out to be part German Shepherd, Belgian Tevuren, and get this - Shih Tzu! Fascinating!!

nikki webb said...

"god didn't miss a stitch...be it dog or be it bitch...when He made the terrier with his cute little derrier...oh God loves a Terrier!"

Ahhh...love that movie.

That test sounds incredible Would have loved to use it on Mavvy. Of course, I don't NEED one for my pure bread Siberian Huskies......

Anonymous said...

I am the owner of the PRT. Her name is Maddie! Isnt that amazing!