Monday, March 3, 2008

Agility class number two!!

So after last week's semi-disastrous agility class number one, I realized that Maddie and I needed to do some work together. She needed to learn how to focus amidst distractions, and I needed to learn how to be firm with her instead of scooping her up and cuddling her every five seconds. Girlfriend also needed some practice jumping hurdles; that is, jumping them without me jumping them with her.


So this past weekend, Gavin and I went to Home Depot, bought some PVC pipes, and made two little homemade jumping hurdles for her to practice on. Pretty soon, we had Maddie jumping the hurdles two at a time! She's so smart! I was so proud and was already starting to fantasize about her leaving all the well-behaved, purebred dogs in her class in her dust.


Fast forward to tonight's class. With all the work we'd been doing, I couldn't risk Maddie acting like Maddie, so I took some advice from the Dog Whisperer and ran her all over the greenway for 45 minutes before we left for class. I had her chasing the tennis ball and running all over the fields. Well, hallelujah. When we got to class, she hit every jump! She also ran through the tunnel 3 times with no hesitation!! The other people in class were so impressed, and one person even asked us if we had brought a different dog than last week. Sad!


Maddie also mastered a new maneuver today - the A frame. Here's a picture.



This trick is pretty tough because the dog has to trust its owner to lead it over this thing, which is pretty high and kind of scary for a furbaby. Maddie dominated. She climbed that thing like a gecko when a lot of the other dogs wouldn't even put one paw on it! The teacher told us that she had made lots of progress. We were beaming with pride! I also think the socialization is really good for her. She is learning how to be around other dogs. Anyway, I just had to brag on my baby. Lata!

5 comments:

meg said...

sad! (and hilarious) they asked you if you brought a different dog!

Go Maddie!

nikki webb said...

I can't wait til you guys procreate. If you are this nuts about your dogs, I can't wait to see what you'll be like with mini-burgii

Betsy said...

Goooo Maddie is right! I love that little a-hole. And yes, this is a unique opportunity to see how I will parent the mini-burgii. I keep reminding myself that this is just for fun - no pressure for Maddie!

lindseykennedy said...

Oh, I'm so proud of her. I wish I could see her jump those hurdles. I love that she will "leave the purebreads in the dust". hahhaha, mutt.

Mom2 said...

So proud of Maddie AND her parents!
Maddie's parents will also parent mini-burgii with fervor and intensity (couldn't resist commenitng on that one).

If you have some pictures of your backyard exercise equipment please send. I think we need to duplicate in DeLand.