Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sad.


I just want to give a shout out to my alma mater, Auburn University, because they are struggling this week. They had a tragedy there on Tuesday when a freshman girl was fatally shot. The weird thing is, twenty minutes after they found her on the side of a deserted road 5 miles north of campus, barely alive, her car went up in flames where it was parked, on campus.


I find this shocking because, when I look back at the time I was at Auburn, from Fall, 1998 through Spring, 2002, I don't remember anything like this happening. I always felt so safe there. It has a familiar, inviting atmosphere that makes it easy to forget that it is a major university with 25,000 plus students and everything that goes along with that, including crazies.


Another weird thing is, that I was just an hour away on Tuesday when all this was happening, in Atlanta for business, and I kept obliviously thinking how great it would be if I could just sneak away and pop over to Auburn for a while. Anyway, I just hope that poor girl's family and friends get through this ok. Everybody keep them in your prayers.

No comments: