Sunday, March 9, 2008

Movie Review




This weekend I saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johannsson. My book club read this book several months ago, and I really enjoyed it so I thought, why not? I of course went with a female friend of mine because Gavin perceived this movie as a chick flick, which it really is not.



Anyway, I thought this movie was GREAT. Ok, you have to like history, sexual tension, plotting and scheming, and politics (16th century politics, that is), but if you like these things, DEF go see the movie. It's about Anne Boleyn (portrayed by Natalie Portman), Henry VIII's second wife - the one he broke with the Catholic Church over - and her less famous/infamous sister, Mary (Scarlett Johansson), who was ALSO knockin' corsets with Henry.




Basically, these two girls were used as pawns by their male family members to advance the family name, and get money and land. The sisters were pretty ambitious themselves (especially Anne) but they were basically traded like hot girl cattle to gain favor with the King. I don't want to give away too many details, but it was a very interesting movie, and it kept with the plot of the book pretty well. I honestly have no idea how historically accurate it is (except for the end) but it is a great story, nonetheless.



Most importantly, I loved the acting in this movie. Typically, British accents from non-British actors (or non-British people in general) usually annoy the pure h*ll out of me. However, in this movie, the actors managed to pull it off. Also, the costumes were great. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that I give the movie two thumbs up.



Moving along, tomorrow is Maddie's third agility class! We are scheduled to try the "weave poles" for the first time. This will be a challenge. Basically the dogs learn how to weave between little poles. Here's a pic. I'll give an update tomorrow - wish us luck!




4 comments:

nikki webb said...

I have plans to both read the book and see the movie with "the other Brown Girl" aka mom. Glad to know its got your stamp of approval. They both (book and movie) seem really up our alley. good luck with the weaving thing tomorrow. Can you imagine Cherokee trying to do that??? Hahahahahaha!!!

meg said...

Nikki- Read the book after seeing the movie (don't tell jack brown!)because reading the book ruined the movie for me...there were so many differences. The movie is great, but would have been way better if I hadn't just read the book.

Go Maddie! Weave it girl!

Betsy said...

Meg - I love how you remember that about my dad - he made me read Jurassic Park before I saw the movie and I was the last 12 year old on earth to see it! Hilarious. In this case, the book is definitely "hotter" than the movie, just so ya know. owww!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Bets! I loved the book and am excited to see the movie (even though I know a movie never does a book justice). I'm so proud of Maddie! I think we are going to try and enroll Sequoia in an agility class...I may have to get with you for some information! Ashley