Sunday, March 16, 2008

Horse thing!

Today, Gavin and I went to a horse show thing here in town! It was technically called the Red Hills Horse Trial, and it was basically a pre-Olympic competition for equestrians. They ride their horses and hop over little fences, kind of like the agility classes I'm doing with Maddie, but with horses and only one obstacle: fences. Anyway, we had a really fun time! It was a gorgeous day, and we had great seats in the shade and right up front. My friend Mary came to see the horses too, and we had a good time.


They also had little pony rides for kids, and vendors selling fried food and horse-themed items, like purses and t-shirts with graphic renderings of horse faces and slogans like, "Hold your Horses."

Also, several dog rescue groups were there adopting out dogs. Rip my heart out. I have a real problem, folks. I know I don't need a third dog, and it would be neither smart nor rational for me to get one, but I just can't bear to walk by these exhibits without playing with the dogs. And then, invariably, I meet one that I can't live without and Gavin has to be the bad guy and tell me no, and then I think about the dog for the next two weeks. I need to stay away; when will I learn? Oh well. Anyway, here are some shots Gavin took!

These are the "Live Oak Fox Hounds." Apparently they have won all these foxhunting competitions and so they got to take a victory lap around the arena before the jumping started.

These are miniature horses. They had a few out there and they all had little afro-manes. It was funny - this is a mama and a baby - awwwwwwwwwww.

Below are the jumping competitors - pretty neat. Gavin did a great job with these pics!



In other news, tomorrow is Maddie's fourth agility class! Details to come... I hope everyone had a great weekend!

No comments: