Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Agility Pupdate

Well, Monday night Maddie had her second-to-last agility class. I didn't have time after work to take her to the greenway, so I just drove her out to the field where class is held a little early so we could throw the ball and work out some of her car anxiety before class. They have a huge open field, so this worked out great.

While we were playing, the other dogs started to arrive and came out to play with us. Pretty soon, every dog in the class was playing together out in the field. It was so fun to watch them all run around after the ball and play together. The socialization is so good for Maddie, because she tends to get clingy when other dogs are around.

When class got started, Maddie learned her last two tricks: the "chute" and the "tire." I knew she would ace the chute, because it's basically just burrowing under a big canvas blanket and coming out the other side. Maddie's favorite thing to do is to burrow under blankets, so no problem there. Here's a visual aid of what the chute looks like.


The other one was the tire. Maddie didn't want to hop through it at first, but when I waved a treat around on the other side, she flew through that hoop like a cheetah - ears back for maximum aerodynamic effect. It was so funny. This is an example of the tire jump.


She also practiced all her other tricks. She is getting so much better at riding the seesaw thing. The teacher had to tell me not to look so scared when Maddie is on the seesaw, because Maddie picks up on my anxiety. I tried to relax and sure enough Maddie got more confident. Next week we will work on putting the tricks together. If Maddie does ok with that, we may look at getting her in the intermediate class! Go Maddie!

I wish I had pictures of Maddie actually performing, but I don't have any yet - next week is my last chance so I will definitely get some then. Get excited!!

2 comments:

meg said...

go maddie! if the humane society could only see you now!

cant wait for the pics of our girl turning tricks

Emily Chappell said...

I really do love reading your "pupdates." They are quite informative... i'm thinking of trying to train Ollie to do something cool... :)