Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday!

I want to thank my friends and family for their well wishes and prayers for Maddie! We will get her test results next week but right now she is doing just great. She is trying to milk this surgery thing for all it's worth (smart dog) but my sympathy window is closing rapidly. She was right back to sleeping downstairs last night, where she proceeded to periodically bark loudly at nothing, much to Gavin's chagrin. Back in the routine.

So we don't have any big plans for the 3-day weekend and I'm feeling a little inadequate about that. Last night on the phone, my mom asked, "So tell me what exciting things you have planned!" I was quiet for a few seconds and then responded by telling her that Gavin was grilling chicken, and that would be fun... probably going to do some yardwork and read. Yay! Sad.

For many years during and after college I ALWAYS had something exciting going on - a trip planned, a bachelorette party to go to, a wedding to attend, a party to throw, etc. Now, what with my full time job, marriage, pet-owning responsibilities, and general advanced age, I have little energy to devote to this type of tomfoolery. Don't get me wrong. I still find myself throwing it down on the odd special occasion, but it's much more the exception now than the rule. I'm not sure when this happened, but I guess my Mom didn't get the memo. Something tells me, though, that she is probably relieved to see me settle down.

So, my weekend is looking quiet and my 22-year-old self would be appalled. However, I am envisioning cleaning out my closet and arranging my important paperwork and the sad desperate truth is that I am excited about that. How things have changed.

1 comment:

nikki webb said...

jodie and i will be hibernating this weekend. Cold+Rainy=Sucks