Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ham Solo

So this weekend I went to Birmingham for the wedding of two of my besties, Lindsey and Brent. I left Friday morning in an attempt to flee the record rains. Unfortunately, Gavin couldn't go because of work, so I had to go it alone. It worked out ok, because I stayed with Meg, who assumed the role of my guardian and arranged all my rides and activities for the weekend. Thanks Meg! I like being your social ward.

Friday afternoon I got to stop over at Katie's to visit with her and her new baby Thomas, who is soooo cute. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics, but trust me, he's cute and tiny. He's only a couple weeks old. So snuggly. Thanks for letting me hold him, KT! He watched Oprah with us, which was riveting, btw. Something about men who have sex change operations and become women, but continue to stay with their wives and families. Basically they go from living as husband and wife to living as lesbian partners. Good show, but Oprah wasn't asking the tough questions that, let's face it, we all want to know about that situation. That could have been groundbreaking TV, but you blew it, Oprah. Thanks, Oprah. Thanks for nothing.

Friday night we went to a fun place called Pub 261, where the band was so accommodating as to allow the bride to take over and sing "Bobby McGee." I think I've seen Lindsey perform that song onstage about 25 times now - somehow she can always sweet talk the band into letting her up there. She rocked it as usual.


Here are some more pics from Friday night: This first one is me with Leah.

This is a nice group shot, although I think Meg is trying to say something. The "double flash" that reduces the red eye threw her.

This is me with the bride and groom! Lindsey and the Brent. We love the Brent!

Saturday we all went to the wedding, and then had a clockradio dance party at the Embassy Suites. We ordered pizza and filled the bathtub with ice and beer. We even played drinking games - how old are we? FABULOUS!

This is Leah and her Heineken light.

This is where the boys congregated.


The beerthroom.

Meg and Holls.
And finally, I had to give a shout out to Charlotte "the poopsmith" Adams, who kept me company at Meg's house while the bridesmaids did their thing. I love ya baby!


So it was a great weekend! I am exhausted. Congrats again to the happy couple - I wish I were in Jamaica right now. So now we start another work week and look forward to the next big party in October, and then again in November, and of course FOOTBALL IS BACK....

5 comments:

Ashley Turnbull said...

Love it! Love seeing all you girlies - reminds me of my days in Toomer Hall (when we stayed on the hall junior year while you guys moved in). CRAZY! I wish we could all go back to those days for just a few weeks =)

Anonymous said...

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

Whoever is booking Oprah's guests is probably fired

Unknown said...

It was quite unfortunate that I could not make the wedding this weekend. However, in my down-time from work this weekend, I was luckily able to catch the tail end of a Lifetime movie. Jenny Garth + HIV = a movie for the ages.

Anonymous said...

Betsy, loving your blogs...haven't read them in a while due to my Olympicsmania which sets in every 2-4 years...Our team was Great!!!! and NBC covered it really well in my expert opinion...I am just a wee bit tired since I hated to miss the 2:00 am broadcasts...glad you and your running buds had such a great week-end...how many more weddings?...nonnymus

lindseykennedy said...

BETS! Love the blog! To top it off, I sang ole "B Mc" on the H-moon too! I promise I usually sing new stuff at karaoke. This was revived from the collection at the wedding. Anywho, love you for coming bestie. Also, I HAVE to call you and tell you the "Betsy" story for Jamaica. Its awesome!