Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Things I am excited about in the New Year

Wow, folks. Time is a mysterious dimension. I can’t believe it’s already almost 2009. John Lennon was way right when he said that life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans. We've got to make every moment count.

Gavin and I are looking at our 5th wedding anniversary this year, and our 30 birthdays. I’m going to cry about that one, because I’m still so young and hip at heart. Ok, not really, because even when I was genuinely young, I never was hip, but I tried. I feel like I’ve always been kind of hip in a geeky, pun-loving way. Right friends? Right. Well, 30th birthday or not, here are some things I’m really looking forward to in ’09.

1) Erin and Adam’s wedding in Tampa in a couple weeks. FUN! Gavin and I go to an absurd number of weddings, and we love every single one we go to.

This one will be great because we will see all our old law school friends again. I am also especially excited about this wedding because Adam and Erin first got to know each other at our wedding. So basically this wedding is happening all because of me.

In light of that, I’m pretty sure this one has serious “I’m going to get out of control with my old cohorts knowing that I’ll wake up feeling like the cat I ran over last month but not caring because alcohol and nostalgia are involved” potential. So, definitely check back for pictures.

2) Las Vegas in February. The team is in training, getting ready for the big trip.

Imagine a musical montage if you will, (a la “Rocky” or “Team America”). The song is “Eye of the Tiger” and each member of Team Vegas is engaged in various preparatory activities:
  • Leah is practicing blackjack (she’s a high stakes player, which intrigues me);
  • I am bringing the pain at the gym, trying to get my stamina up for the late nights, sweating on the elliptical, lifting weights, drinking beer instead of Gatorade between reps;
  • April is assiduously browsing, purchasing, and reading Las Vegas travel books, taking notes while listening to Elton on the ipod;
  • Meg is doing tai chi or yoga;
  • Holly is hitting a large punching bag.

3) Vacation with Gavin. We are thinking about doing something low key this year, meaning that we are not going to Europe like we have the past two years. We will prob do a beachy-type relaxing vacation in the spring. Can’t wait!

4) Football season. I’m tentatively adding this as something I’m looking forward to, but let’s face it. It’s going to be difficult for Auburn to show absolutely no improvement over last year. And even if they crash and burn again, I still have tailgating activities to enjoy for FSU and Florida.

5) Visits with friends and family throughout the year. I'm pretty sure the rest of my crazy college pals that aren't making the Vegas trip will plan a get-together at some point this year, and we will make trips to visit family on weekends, as we always do.

I’m sure there are many more things that will happen in 2009 to make the year a great one. I am going to start thinking about resolutions to make the year even better. I will post them when I come up with a healthy list.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm so excited about Adam and Erin's wedding too! I can't wait to hang out with you guys again - and see you get "out of control!" LOL Where did you guys end up booking your room?