Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I'm not kitten around.

So listen to what happened to me today. I moseyed on out to my car at lunch to go run some errands. I got in, cranked her up, pulled forward, and... bump. I turned around. There was DEFINITELY a little tiny furry kitten writhing around on the ground where my tire was just an instant before. I was horrified.

So I pulled into a nearby space and ran over to the scene of the accident. Kitten breathing. Kitten moving around. Kitten in distress. What do I do??!! The kitten wasn't bleeding, so I picked it up, cradled it, and ran inside the building to ask someone else what to do and of course make my problem all of a sudden everyone else’s too. Do I take it to the vet? Does someone know cat CPR? Is it too late?

I was lucky to encounter the downstairs receptionist, Lisa, who grew up on a farm. She took the cat from me, took a look, and let me down easy that the kitten was definitely dying and there was probably nothing the vet could do. A few seconds later the kitten stopped moving. No pulse. Lisa wrapped it up and gave it to a runner to put in the dumpster.

At this point, tears were flowing, but I went to the bathroom to wash up and got back in my car. I was feeling terrible at this point, thinking, not only am I a cat murderer, but I also had to involve practically the whole law firm and disrupt commerce.

So as I’m driving away, I remember that the kitten bit me on the arm as I was taking him inside. I barely noticed at the time, because, you know, tiny teeth, adrenaline. But I started thinking about it and decided to call the doctor because, you never know. Fast forward 10 minutes and I’m in the special vaccination clinic waiting for a rabies vaccine, thinking, wow... things sure got out of control fast. Three shots and a prescription for stiff antibiotics later, (and four more periodically administered shots to go) here I sit, recounting my tale of catricide.

It’s pretty funny when you think about it, provided I’m not rabid and minus the dead kitten part. But there’s a bright side no matter what. Maybe rabies will make me cooler and more popular, kind of like Michael J. Fox in TeenWolf. Maybe I’ll take on cat qualities. You know.... sleep under cars, become cold and aloof, appear on Broadway for nine years straight. Perhaps some good will come of all this.

In the meantime, I’ll keep you all posted on my condition.

11 comments:

meg said...

WOW. terrible story!

I hope you are okay. Too bad for kitty, but sounds like it wasn't a loved pet or it probably would not have been sleeping under your car.

probably put it out of its miserable life of becoming a dumpster cat...

nikki webb said...

i know this had to ruin your day. i saw how you reacted when you caught that trout and then begged jodie to resuscitate it. It was very Ann of you to panic about the bite. sure hope you don't have rabies. but if you do, i'll sign up for the next Run for a Cure to Support the Rabid...

nikki webb said...

i just read it again.
"catricide..." LOL!

Betsy said...

Yeah, Meg, it was def a feral kitten that probably didn't have a bright future. It was cute. Poor little guy.

Kristin said...

What a day, Bets...wow..that sucks. Like Meg said, I definitely took the cat to be a dumpster cat. YOu helped the cat out, really you did....

Ashley said...

OMG - I've got tears welling up just reading the story. Poor kitty! I know how you are about animals!

However, the rest of your post had me laughing! I'm sorry, it's really not funny. But it sort of is. LOL Anyway, I hope all is well and you don't turn into Teenwolf!

Anonymous said...

wouldn't this qualify as a work comp claim?

E. Peterman said...

Awww, you are such a good Samaritan. I hope you're OK, but I have to tell you that the "catricide" term made me laugh out loud.

Unknown said...

What a CATastrophe.

lindseykennedy said...

I'm crossing my fingers that you appear on Broadway for nine years. Maybe you will get 8 more lives as well. In the next life, will you come back on the Board of Trustees at Auburn? Or perhaps a quarterback with cat-like speed and reflexes?

Sherry Tomberlin said...

OMG Bets!!! How horrible...your life is never boring is it!