Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekend in Deland

So this weekend was great! Gavin and I loaded up the fur and headed down to Deland for a weekend with Gavin's family.

On the way down Friday night, we decided to use the GPS, even though we know the way, just for funsies, to see how it would take us. Sure enough, it directed us to go a different route than we usually go. In such situations, one has a simple choice to make: 1) Ignore the GPS and go the way you know; or 2) Trust the GPS and go that route, to see if it saves you time.

In our case there was a third option: 3) Trust the GPS until it takes you somewhere you don't recognize, then panic and strike out on your own.

Over my well-reasoned objections, Gavin chose #3.

So, after a nice late-night tour of some remote area of Ocala, which included feverishly pulling out the map o' Florida and hanging on during a few whiplashy "frustrated" u-turns, we got back on a road Gavin had heard of and back on schedule. It turns out the GPS was taking us to that road all along, just via a different (and probably faster) route. Of course. Rest assured we won't learn from this.

Anyway, once we finally got there, we had a great time! The City of Deland has a huge, awesome dog park where we took the dogs to play on Saturday. Here is a pic:

As you can see, on the left they have a little pond for the dogs to get in if they want to, and Sugarbear went in up to her shoulders. Maddie went in about up to her knees. I tossed Maddie in further just to see if she would like the water. (I was prepared to jump in and save her if necessary.) I know she can swim because sometimes when I'm holding her under the faucet while I give her a bath, and she gets water on her face, she'll start instinctively doing the dog paddle, right there in the air.

Well, once in the actual water she dog-swam like Michael Phelps right to the shore. I was so proud! Then she rolled around in the dirt. Nice. It was just neat to see her swim for the first time ever. I took some pics, but they are on Gavin's dad's camera and so I'll have to post them later.

Saturday night we went to a Halloween/Happy Retirement party for Uncle Joe at Gavin's cousin's Giffin's house. Dance party USA. Great times were had by all! No, I didn't wear a costume, although I wish I had. I just didn't have time last week to throw something together. Giffin dressed as Magnum P.I. and it was hysterical. Our camera battery died, but other folks took pictures, so once I get that magical email with all the pictures attached I will post the most hilarious ones.

Other than that, it's Monday. Yay. Counting down to the weekend already.....

3 comments:

nikki webb said...

lol option number 3...i'm pretty sure that's the option poppi may have used (had we had that technology) when he didn't have the wisdom of age to guide him. i can actually feel the frustrated u-turns (while gripping the oh shit handle). nowadays, he blindly trusts the gps. gav will eventually get there. or he could be like jodie and refuse to spend the money on a gps because he loves to navigate a map and try different hwys. the joys of travel!

Unknown said...

I have to defend my honor. The GPS was wrong, wrong, wrong! Betsy is just mad because she couldn't figure out how to fold the map.

Anonymous said...

GPS????? No one knows how to read/fold a map anymore - you young people are so spoiled!