Sunday, September 14, 2008

A few thoughts.

Well. Last night I watched the most painfully ugly Auburn game I have ever witnessed in my life. The score. Are you ready for this? The score was Auburn 3, Mississippi State 2. Wow. MSU got the two points because our center held in the end zone. It was a penalty that resulted in a safety for the other team. Otherwise we would have shut them out, 3-0. Woo hoo!

I want to say right off that I am so super proud of the defense. With the exception of a couple pass interference issues, they played fantastic. I'll take a pass interference call over a touchdown anyday, so I've made my peace with that.

The offense is a completely different story. They are trying to implement a "spread offense" and it's not going well. I mean, if having your pride decimated and spread all over the field for carrion to pick at is a spread offense, then we are killing it. Otherwise, we have some serious work to do.

Here is a list of things for Tommy Tuberville to accomplish before LSU completely destroys us next week.

1. Teach the QB to scramble. One of the nice things about a spread offense is that there are numerous vertical gaps to exploit, because the defense is spread thin around the field. He could have run the ball for several first downs but just kind of ran around confused. Work on that please. He has more options than just passing and handing off. Given his performance with these options, you'd think he'd want to explore the alternatives.

2. Teach the RBs to hang on to the ball!! I thought we were going to address this LAST WEEK after the FIVE fumbles against Southern Miss. Fumbling is never good, but Auburn fumbled last night at extremely crucial parts of the game. You people are trying to give me a heart attack.

3. Teach the offensive line when they are allowed to move on the line of scrimmage and when they are not. They clearly don't know. While you're at it, teach them the holding rule. They don't know that one either. WTF. Sugarbear knows those rules.

4. Find Al Borges and beg him to take us back.

5. There are oh so many more things to work on... play selection, kicking game, third down conversions, finding creative ways to get out of that contract with the new O.C., the list goes on.

Ok, I feel better after my diatribe. I just hate to see Auburn embarrass itself like that. If I didn't care, I wouldn't say anything. Hopefully they will work out a few kinks so we can at least get some touchdowns in future games, or at least make some kind of offensive showing.

On the bright side, a win is a win is a win, and we are 3-0, and 1-0 in SEC play. That sounds a lot better than the reality, though. Right now I am preparing myself for a long season. Sigh. Hey - at least I'm not in denial.

In other news, I'm back from Chicago safe and sound! I had such a great time wandering around the city Thursday night. I felt pretty safe too. As soon as the crowds started to dissipate, I packed it in and headed home. Chicago is a great city! I hope I get to go back soon.

5 comments:

nikki webb said...

I thought I was going to get a witty description of your adventures in Chicago, a la Ferris Bueller and Adventures in Babysitting. Instead I get a couch coach rambling on Auburn's shortcomings? WTF is right!!

Amy said...

I agree with Nikki! But I'm not the most objective person to properly review your post, based on a clear bias for Ferris Bueller. Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Anonymous said...

Bets,

I feel ya on the Auburn issues - I dare not tease lest I be exposed to the ole F U you have perfected during Auburn football season - anyway I guess you better come up with a Buelleresque review of Chicago - your public is demanding it!

Bama Belle said...

Well Bets, after last season, I can definitely empathize with you on this...there were several moments last year when there was a distinct possibility of me stroking out as I screamed at the tv....I hope you won't hold it against me, though, if I don't whole-heartedly hope they work on your suggestions for the rest of the season 0:-)

Ashley said...

I 100% whole-heartedly agree with Bama Belle! :-)