Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chicago review and weekend recap

Ok, so the Auburn football post was a little self-indulgent. I mean, how dare I use my own blog to vent or demonstrate my wide array of interests and analytical skills when I have an audience to think about. My apologies to all 3 of you.


Now, let's see. My Chicago adventure began when my only friend in Chicago, Marcel the Cab Driver, picked me up from my hotel at about 5:30 p.m. to spirit me away to the downtown wonderland. I had to take cabs everywhere, so I just kept calling Marcel because he was so nice and I learned so much from him.

A few fun facts Marcel taught me during our travels:

1) He is from Cameroon, Africa.

2) Cameroon is a republic, even though many countries in Africa are dictatorships. It is 75% Christian, and the other 25% of the population are mostly Muslim.

3) There are more than 250 languages spoken in Cameroon, mostly tribal languages, although the primary languages are French and English. It is pretty hot there, and Marcel has trouble with the cold weather in Chicago during the winter.

4) Marcel speaks four languages! French, English, his mother's tribal language, and his father's tribal language. If Marcel wants to converse with a fellow Cameroonian, his best shot is French or English, because they will probably not speak the same tribal language.

5) Marcel feels that everyone in the world should speak English. Interesting.

6) He thinks Auburn is Harvard. I didn't correct him.

I also didn't fact-check Marcel, ok, so if you find out any of the above is incorrect, sorry to have misinformed you about Cameroon.

Anyway, Marcel dropped me off at the Navy Pier. He thought this was the safest place for me to hang, as an unaccompanied female, and I must say I appreciated that. The Navy Pier has restaurants, shopping, a ferris wheel, and swings (!!!), which gave me a great view of the skyline.

I ventured into town a little bit but retreated back to the Navy Pier when the crowds started to die down and called Marcel to come get me. He took me on a little tour of the parts of the city I didn't get to see, then took me home. He charged me a flat rate both ways, so no, it didn't cost me extra. That is the first thing people ask me when I tell this story, as though my friend Marcel would rip me off. Whatev.
When I got back to town, I realized quickly that Tallahassee had deteriorated into a gas crisis. People were panicking for no reason and filling up their tanks. I had a half-tank so I stayed above the fray, but still, 80% of the gas in Tallahassee is gone. People. There better be some gas on Friday when I head to Pensacola or I'm really going to be pissed off at the stupidity.

The highlight of my weekend was when my friend Mary came to town! We went to happy hour, then to the American Legion hall with some friends to hear a band. We danced with old guys. Well, I did. Mary got shot down. We're pretty sure that old guy was just intimidated by her radiant beauty. Awww.

So that's it - sorry it wasn't Adventures in Babysitting or Ferris Bueller. The museums were closed and I didn't sing at a Blues Club while fleeing bad guys. Maybe next time.

8 comments:

nikki webb said...

Well, glad you learned about Cameroon while in Chicago. Life is funny that way. Looking forward to this weekend!!!! Get a pic of Marcel?

lindseykennedy said...

Oh, this made me laugh from beginning to end. I officially love your blog. Plus, I loved yoru AU post. I feel like you should be the new Tuberville. Whadya say?

Betsy said...

I would love to assist Tuberville, as, oh I don't know, Offensive Coordinator. He needs a new one. Let's hope Tony Franklin didn't buy a house in Auburn.

And no, I didn't get a pic of Marcel. I forgot my camera and so I only got a few piddly shots on my cell phone, none of which were worth posting. I'll have to remember Marcel only in my heart.

Kristin said...

I agree with Linds...I can picture the whole thing as if I were in the back seat with you...wait...was I? That is so something you and I did back in the day...... AWW Mems!

Betsy said...

I know! Kristin, I totally think I learned my "make friends wherever I go, especially with cab drivers, bartenders, old men, and bouncers" skills from you girlfriend. You are the best I've ever seen. I am sad to report that Marcel was not playing bongos at any point in the evening.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bets,
You touched on a topic I would like you to explore more thoroughly. The selfish a-holes who fill up their car, truck, van, RV, boat, and every freakin' gas container they can get their hands on just to be "prepared" in case of a gas "crisis." Yes, this leaves all the pumps empty for us normal folks who don't make a full- time job out of getting gas. This leads to me praying for a gas pump without a little yellow baggie on it, so I can buy premium gas to take my ass to Wal-Mart (where incidentally they are running low on gas containers)-

Anonymous said...

Also - for the record - if you could keep your sexual desire for Tommy in check - I think you would make a fine O.C. for Auburn.

Amy said...

at first i thought offensive coordinator was a pun... you WERE being rather offensive to Auburn Football in that post!