Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chicago!



Hello world. And when I say "world," I mean the smattering of family members that read this blog. They're a great smattering though, a loyal one. So I'm in Chicago! I'm here on a marketing trip and so far so good! When they first scheduled me to go on this trip I thought I'd be flying on 9/11, but I'm not - only 9/10 and 9/12, so that's kind of a relief. I know people say that 9/11 is probably the safest day of the year to fly, but I just feel like it would be kind of strange in the airports.

The client I'm here to see sent a shiny black Lincoln Town Car to the airport to pick me up! That was cool. I felt like Oprah for a hot second. Then I found out it's actually cheaper to use the car service than to pay for a cab, so I realized that wasn't because I'm special at all. Well, my mom still thinks I'm special, so take that.

So tomorrow evening, after my work day, I'm venturing out into the city by myself. I don't want to go by myself, because I hear Chicago can be a scary place. (Remember "Adventures in Babysitting" ??) BUT I'm the only one on this trip and I don't have a buddy here. I came all the way up here and who knows when I'll be back. Is it really windy? I have to know! So, come hell or high water, my ass is soaking in this city tomorrow night. I won't be too late - my meetings end around 5:00 so I'll even still have a little sunlight.

It's really nice weather here. 70-ish degrees, clear, and breezy. The Chicagoans I have met have told me this is rare and exotic weather for Chicago so I need to take advantage of it. I brought a sweater, so I should be just fine. They also told me which parts of the city to hit and which to avoid, which I appreciate, because I'm down with staying alive and keeping my money. I actually have an arsenal of personal weaponry at home: a stun gun (from Gavin), pepper spray (from Carol), and a thing that emits a super-loud and shrill siren when you pull the string - kind of like a sound grenade (from Mom). Unfortunately I can't bring any of that stuff on the plane so I only have my wits to protect me. My problem is I'm too nice to strangers. Gavin says that is going to land me in someone's trunk one day, kicking out the tail lights. Well, no talking to strangers tomorrow. Aloof.

Well that's about it. I have to be up ass early tomorrow so I should turn in soon. Big day! I'll include a recap of everything, as always, when I return. Ta!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I LOVE Chicago! Enjoy it!! Oh, and I wandered alone up there and was fine - you will be too!

nikki webb said...

If you can make it through the streets of Naples, Italy, you'll be fine in Chicago. Just remember the lesson we learned from Elizaeth Shue: a gang soldier with a knife will back down immediately if you get in his face and yell "Don't F*ck With the Babysitter!"

Betsy said...

Haha - that is the best part of that movie, along with when Elisabeth Shue has to "sing the blues." Well I conquered Chicago tonight and I am still alive, so yay! Thanks for the encouragement, girls!

Anonymous said...

Just don't end up clinging to a building from the outside like that little brat on "Adventures in Babysitting!"

Are you going to race back to the hotel and pretend like you've been there all along????? Hope so

Watching that movie 485 times with you and Nik (between soaps of course) - good times, good times

Amy said...

Why have none of you mentioned Ferris Bueller? Danke Schoen!

Here's hoping you run into the Sausage King!

Kristin said...

I love Chicago!!! One of my favorite towns!