Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hey everyone, I'm back from my guilt trip

Hey friends. So I'm back... I had to take a break because those last two posts really wore me out. Speaking of those last two posts, my parents aren't really talking to me right now, but I figure they're only in their early sixties so we have plenty of time to patch things up. Just kidding, they were pretty good sports about the whole thing, although I did have to pack my bags and take the requisite guilt trip... a familiar trek indeed. The truth is, I come from a long line of sarcastic smarta*ses, so they took it all in stride.

What's new... let's see. Gavin's mom and grandmother are coming to town on Saturday and we're trying to figure out something fun to do to entertain them while they're here. Anyone care to hazard a suggestion? We were thinking of going to see the bodies exhibit downtown, but frankly, I find myself on the horns of a dilemma: On the one hand, I feel like this is a fascinating scientific display that is certainly worthwhile to visit, and that we should take advantage of it while it's here. On the other hand, gross me out. I hate to be like that, but these are peoples' actual dead bodies on display, essentially for entertainment. Really? I'm not sure Nana will be all about that... it's newfangled, to say the least. We'll just have to see.

My book club decided to read the book I previously plugged on this blog, called Shattered Dreams: My life as a polygamist wife by Irene Spencer, so that leaves me wide open for book suggestions. Bring it. Remember, I'm looking for something edifying, yet interesting, so I can keep up with my New Years Resolutions.

Hey, speaking of resolutions, it's Lent, and during this time of the year, we Catholics are supposed to resolve to commit to give something up that we like and enjoy, or do something for others that is hard for us, as a way of commemorating the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus. That is your theology lesson of the day. After 12 years of Catholic school, I have about a million. I'm late to this game but I'm trying to think of something to do. Right now I'm basically going to try to get to church on a regular basis, which will be hard enough. Hopefully I will arrive at a meaningful decision before Easter.

Well, back to real life.... lata.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Betsy, Mass on Saturday evening or Sunday would be a great lenten resolution; I always feel my week goes better when I have been to mass...thinking of you...Love, nonnimus

Ashley said...

As you can tell from my blog as well, I am also having issues coming up with something for Lent (even though I am not Catholic). So I'm not help to ya there.

As for what to do this weekend, I think the Body Exhibit is a great idea. I'm dying to go! That was going to be part of our Valentine's Day extravaganza until I had to go to California. So I'm still waiting to go. Otherwise, maybe you could drive down to St. George or something? St. Marx? McClay Gardens?

Unknown said...

Here's something you can do for lent: Stop leaving the dogs outside all day unattended while we are at work. Jesus would appreciate that.

Betsy said...

Ok, maybe I'm NOT back from my guilt trip.

Anonymous said...

Bets,

My take on the Bodies exhibit after attending while it was in Mobile...

I must say I thought it was a bit disrespectful, since, from what I understand, the "exhibitees" were not consulted beforehand concerning their posthumous role in this travelling caravan show. Education be damned, I'd rather melt away in a pine box in private.

Jeanna said...

Betsy, if you have not read it -- I am going to suggest you read Into Thin Air by John Krakauer. It is the most fun thing I have ever read (excluding mediocre teen lit.) Non-fiction. Everest. Death. Need I say more?

Also, I can totally identify on the cell phone post. I still just cannot make myself care about the chic-ness of my cell phone (although I do want to store phone numbers.)

Anonymous said...

Bets,

Let me recommend "The Civil War, A Narrative", by Shelby Foote - in three volumes. Why? Your Great, Great, Great Grandfather John Brown was deeply involved in that little fracas, enlisting in 1861 at age 16 and surviving to the bitter end, ending with Joe Johnston's surrender in NC after Lee's surrender at Apomattox. He fought from just after Shiloh, including Chicamauga and Vicksburg, as part of the Georgia 2ND Cavalry. And if that's not enough history for you, try examining your Scots-Irish heritage while reading James Webb's "Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America"

I love you, and forgive you... Poppimus