Thursday, November 6, 2008

Twenty-fine.



That is correct. Today represents the 29th anniversary of my reverse luge into this world, and since this is my first birthday with a blog, I thought I might do a little commemorative post with some fun facts.

1) Lots of things are younger than me that really seem old.

For example, this little number. An Atari, circa 1980. Ancient, just like me.


Or IBM Computers like this one, built in 1979, just like me.

2) 1979 produced lots of pop hits that are now clearly "oldies." For example:

Da Ya Think I'm Sexy, Rod Stewart; Reunited (and it feels so good), Peaches and Herb; I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor; Y.M.C.A., Village People; Ring My Bell, Anita Ward; The Gambler, Kenny Rogers.

And my personal timeless favorite: You Don't Bring Me Flowers, Barbra Streisand and Neil Diamond.

3) Yay for 1979. It was a great and interesting year for global affairs. The Islamic Revolution in Iran, the implementation of the One Child Policy in China, vicious IRA attacks in Great Britain, and right here at home, President Carter was attacked by a swamp bunny.

Per Wikipedia, Carter had gone fishing in Georgia when the rabbit approached his boat "hissing menacingly, its teeth flashing and nostrils flared and making straight for the president," trying desperately to enter the boat, causing Carter to defend himself with oars.

How hilarious. If anyone was wondering what species I might have been in a former life, I think I have an idea. I did not even know swimming swamp bunnies existed. This one seemed ferocious, with the "nostrils flared" and everything... I wonder if it was rabit.

4) When I popped out, people were walking around in smashing outfits like this. I appreciate that the both the jumpsuit and the leisure suit were available in lime green, mustard, and sky blue.



Wow. We've come a loooong way, folks. Thanks for all the happy birthday wishes!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

How on Earth did you find that story about the swamp bunny? President-elect Government should watch out!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Happy B'day B! And, BTW, we will surely add our favorite non-democrat to the blog list of readers =)

nikki webb said...

Happy Birthday, Betzel!!

"plaidstallion.com" ???? Seriously? that means this website exists to sell 70s leisure suits to the here and now consumer.

And i find it hillarious that you were born the same year that Barbra recorded her "flowers" duet, as i know how you love that song.

My year (1977) was much cooler: "Saturday Night Fever" was the hottest soundtrack in the land, "Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes" was released by my man Jimmy Buffett, and Fleetwood Mac released "Rumours". But I don't think I can beat the "swamp bunny incident". wtf?

E. Peterman said...

The 70s were a wretched decade for fashion, and since I am almost a decade older than you, I actually remember it. Happy birthday!