Tuesday, July 8, 2008

High School Reunion and Scuba Diving



Well, the time has finally come for the Pensacola Catholic High School class of '98 to reunite! This has always seemed so remote but the big event actually happens in just a few weeks. (Above, please note 18-year-old me. Ready to take on the world, armed with ambition, boundless energy, and big bushy eyebrows for protection.)
Well, I've always said that as long as I wasn't really fat, I'd go. I'll make sure to take lots of pics and report the details. I may also post more about this later as the date draws nearer and I start to reminisce and freak out about how time is marching on. I'm surprisingly calm now, but the freak out is inevitable.

So, next topic. Gavin has always said that he would like for us to learn how to scuba dive together. I would love for Gavin and I to have more of the same hobbies, but the idea of scuba diving has always terrified me.

I grew up in Pensacola, going to the beach every weekend and swimming in the ocean amongst our marine wildlife brethren and living in harmony all summer long, so it's definitely not the water that scares me. No, it has always been the idea of swimming deep under the water and being totally dependent on the plastic breathing apparatus and the compressed oxygen that could blow up your lungs if you don't breathe in and out correctly. Admittedly, I'm pretty ignorant about the whole process, and that's obvious, but I know just enough to be freaked out.

Then tonight, my fears were validated by this story on Dateline! This couple went on a diving trip on the barrier reef, drifted away from the tour boat, and were left in the shark-infested waters all night long. They developed hypothermia and started hallucinating! It was just like that movie Open Water, and I finally have justification for all my fears. I think I'll probably always stay on land and boats from here on out. I love validation.
What else, what else. .. So work is picking up - I have two trips planned in the next few weeks - one to Cincinnati and one to Utah - sounds like fun! I love marketing trips! All I have to do is go, dress nice, and be my charming schmoozy self. I'll keep you posted on all that. Ta for now!

9 comments:

Holly Amburgey said...

I am totally with you on the scuba diving thing. It scares me!! Last night I was watching Tori & Dean on Oxygen - it's good trashy TV and apparently he scubas too. He was talking about the oxygen sending fire bubbles down your throat if something mixes wrong! Yikes!!

nikki webb said...

took scuba lessons in high school when i was too young to think of ALL of the bad things that could happen,and it still scared the bejeezus out of me. If our instructor said "it's REALLY important to EXHALE on the way up to the surface" one more time...I was terrified to go back to the boat! Snorkeling is the way to go.

Vica said...

I love scuba diving! It is so much fun. I got certified through a class at FSU and went in the Bahammas. As a novice you probably will not go too much lower than 35 - 50 feet (which is not deep ocean). However, I could not get Adam to go with me in Burmuda he was too scared.

Amy said...

Watching Dateline will mess you up - I can't stay in hotels, eat eggs, go to Food Lion, use my credit card, etc. without worrying about something I saw on Dateline. The worst was the episode where they did the blue light things on hotel rooms to expose bodily fluids. HELLO PARANOIA!!

Unknown said...

What Betsy neglects to mention is that no one has ever died scuba diving in the history of the world. It's the liberal media that wants you to believe otherwise.

Ashley said...

Um, what about that newlywed who died scuba diving??? I mean, yah, so her husband may have helped, but still! I'm with you Bets - it scares the crap out of me!

I just had my high school reunion a few weekends ago - fun, fun! Just start looking for something to wear NOW! My freak out stage began when I waited until the week of the event to buy a dress and then couldn't find anything. Hello stress! :-)

nikki webb said...

Actually, dear Gavin, our uncle Mark's very best friend died from a scuba diving accident on a trip that Mark was on with him. He subsequently named his son Joey after said friend. And, yes, my debate loving brother-in-law, they were both certified experienced scuba divers.

I'm with Amy about Dateline, though. That show cause Maria's fear of excrement(even her own)...and salmonella...and e.coli...and trichinosis...well, you get the picture

Unknown said...

Liberal media, Nikki. Liberal media.

Amy said...

i heard it was the liberal media that planted the bodily fluids on the hotel tv remote AND the rod thingy you use to open the curtains with