Thursday, September 10, 2009

Shout-out to the Husby


So here's where I have to hand it to my husby Gavin. He deserves a shout-out! As I progress in my knocked-uppity-ness, I have noticed that my hormones have started ragin' again. This died down in the second tri, but now I'm back to my old mood swingin' tricks, and it's more dangerous now because I must be even scarier with my increased girth. Like, think of that scene in Jurassic Park, where the characters know the T-Rex is coming because the glass of water starts to vibrate, and all they can do is look around in fear and panic. Yes, this must be what it's like for Gavin.

For example, the other night, I was making black-eyed peas and rice. Gavin was helping me, and accidentally put the cubed ham chunks in the rice, instead of into the peas. So this really upset me, causing me to snap at him and delay dinner until I was able to transfer each individual chunk of ham from the rice pot to the pea pot. Really? It's tiny cubes of ham. Ultimately they all mix together anyway. I felt bad about it after, and couldn't figure out why I freaked. Of course Gavin forgave me right away, and in a moment of guilt and weakness, I issued him blanket amnesty for all future pork-related offenses.

In addition to maintaining his sensitivity and thoughtfulness while living with a live grenade, Gavin has been assembling things like a maniac. First, it was our crib and furniture, and the other night it was our travel system, which is AWESOME and was a great gift from Gavin's parents - thanks guys! I just HAD to have it assembled right away, so Gavin got right on it, and it is rarin' to go.

Gavin has also had to pick up the slack around the house. Literally. I drop things all the time, and he just quickly comes along behind me and picks them up so I don't have to bend over and contend with my ever-changing center of gravity.

Finally, he has insisted on completely relinquishing our relatively new soft leather recliner to me, in all its soft cushy majesty, so I can put my feet up at all times. And this during football season. What a guy!

So, props to my man. We have been married more than 5 years now and I love him more every day - I can't wait to see him as a dad!

Here's my little update.

How far along? 30 weeks, 4 days. (Due date was actually moved up two days to November 15).

Total weight gain/loss: None of your damn business.

Maternity clothes? Thank God for them and those who make them.

Stretch marks? Still none to be found on my glorious naked body... what I can see of it, anyway.

Sleep: The pillow system is working well, although it is difficult to get out of bed. I now have to roll out. Gavin is still hanging onto some bed territory, but it doesn't look good...

Best moment this week: Well, the 4D ultrasound was awesome, and that was one week ago, and then yesterday, we had a great regular doctor's appointment and learned that the Burbi has put on a few more ounces. Go girl!

Movement: We still have a very active Burglet all up in my uterus. She responds to Gavin's voice, and likes to stretch out. The other day she had the hiccups, which was really funny. She's up in the morning and at night, and sleeps in the middle of the day.

Food cravings: I had a burning desire for orange juice the other day as we were checking out at Publix - like HAD to have some right then. Gavin ran over to little fridge that luckily had some small bottles and got me one, which I chugged in one swig while standing right there in line. Then I was fine. Crazy.

Labor Signs: None.

Belly Button in or out? Out and proud.

What I miss: Beer during football games!

What I am looking forward to: Buying the baby's first Christmas Card outfit. You guys are going to die when you see it. No hints.

Milestone: Getting through the first week of college football without the benefit of delicious cold beer and still having fun, driving around with an actual car seat base in the back seat!

So that's about it for this update... out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww, shucks.

Anonymous said...

Gavin,
Thanks for being so good to my baby daughter while she gestates...it will all be worth it when Brooke Lynne arrives...a grateful nonni

Betsy said...

THE BABY'S NAME IS NOT BROOKE LYNN. Mom, you can't do that on the internet!

Emily Chappell said...

Husbands really do have the short end of the stick when it comes to hanging out with those they have impregnated. I say they had it coming. :)

Also, I am glad to see that my parents aren't the only ones calling baby by names that do not exist. My BOY is currently Amy Jo, compliments of my dad...

nikki webb said...

I feel like we have to be the teenage kids from that commercial who are TRYING to explain internet networking rules to their parents. Brooklyn Burgess? Funny, mom...

Gavin, take heart! Just ask my sisters and mom what poor Jodie had to live through when I was knocked up with JoeBear. You'll have new respect for the man.