Friday, April 24, 2009

30 Rock Shout-out


Let me advise you all of my current obsession with the show 30 Rock. This show has been kicking my ass all over the place. It’s hilarious. This is significant, because I’m kind of a tough customer when it comes to television entertainment. With the boundless entertainment options available on the internet so very accessible with wireless internet connections and laptops, I tend to get bored with television very easily. I don’t know if this show is really genuinely funny, or if it’s just right up my humor alley.

There are two aspects to successful comedy: material and delivery, and this show does both extremely well. It has earned a blog shout-out. Who are the geniuses doing the writing? The ironic nuances they use are not lost on me, like Alec Baldwin portraying a conservative Republican corporate elitist, with pictures of him with GWB and Sarah Palin on his desk. They have the best guest stars, too (Edie Falco, Isabella Rosselini, Salma Hayek, Will Arnett, Jennifer Aniston, Jon Hamm, just to name a few). With this show immediately following The Office, the Thursday night lineup hasn’t been this win since the Golden Girls and Cosby were ruling the roost. Oh you heard me, Friends and Will & Grace. You heard me.

Tina Fey’s character pretty much anchors the format, and she has some good lines, but the other characters, Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin), Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan) and Jenna Moroney (Jane Krakowski) continually steal the show. Note that I did not include Kenneth the Page in that sentence. He is the only character that annoys me, but he does help set up lines for others, so I guess he has some value. Here are some of my all time favorite lines.

Jack: What are you doing?
Tracy: Payback. The way you treated me. You used me.
Jack: God, its like dating Katie Couric all over again. I didn’t use you. I created a situation that could have been mutually beneficial and you blew it.

Liz (when Jack is posing as a class member at her 20-year HS reunion): This won't work, Jack, you’re 50.
Jack: Rich 50 is middle class 38.

Jack: The crab is getting aroused. Shut it down, shut it down.

Kenneth: I know how you like this cornbread Mr. Jordan.
Tracy: LIKE it? I love this cornbread so much I wanna take it back behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

Jack: Look, Tracy, I can’t just give you money. But what I can do is show you how you can earn all the money you need. You must know Arsenio.
Tracy: Hall or Billingham?
Jack: You know someone named Arsenio Billingham?
Tracy: No.

Tracy: I want to hold a mirror up to society and then win world record for biggest mirror.

Liz: Okay, very funny. You bought a pager from Dennis. Will you take it off now, please?
Jack: Oh, I can’t. I’m expecting a call from 1983

Jack: Never go with a hippie to a second location.

Tracy: Live every week like it’s Shark Week

Tracy: Doctor Spaceman, when they check my DNA, will they tell me what diseases I might get, or help me to remember my ATM pin code?
Dr. Spaceman: Absolutely. Science is whatever we want it to be. I’ll let you know as soon as we have the results.
Tracy: I already know the results, the kid is not mine!
Dr. Spaceman: Boy, it’s crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up. Different time, the ’60s

Jenna: If the president is so serious about the war on terror, why doesn’t he hunt down and capture Barack Obama before he strikes again?

Liz: I got rid of all my Colin Firth movies in case they consider it erotica.
Jack: That man can wear a sweater.

Jack: How far would I have to let her go to get my old job back? Are we talking over the shirt frontsies, backsies or would I really have to give her my gift?

Jack (breaking up with his wife Bianca, played by Isabella Rosselini): I want back all the jewelry I ever bought you.
Bianca: Fine.
Jack: I want the art supplies I gave you on your fortieth birthday and any subsequent art projects you made with them.
Bianca: Fine.
Jack: I want all of our love letters.
Bianca: [laughing] Fine.
Jack: I want all of your parents' love letters.
Bianca: Fine.
Jack: I want full stake in the Arby’s franchise we bought outside of Telluride.
Bianca: Oh, dammit Johnny, you know I love my Big Beef and Cheddar.

Honestly, there are soooooo many more quotes that are comedy gold from this show. If you haven’t seen it, check it out.

6 comments:

nikki webb said...

Thank you! I LOVE this show! I shush my children and skip bedtime reading when a new episode airs. And HELLO?! it comes on after The Office (my other favorite). Some of my all-time faves:

Jenna: [rapping] My name is Suri Cruise.
Put your hands in the air!
I came out of the womb
With a full head of hair!

(Thought Of YOU when I heard this one:)
Liz: We need to get these guys! Don't you know the Postmaster General?
Jack: I do, but we had a falling out over the Jerry Garcia stamp. If I wanted to lick a hippie, I'd return Joan Baez's phone calls.

Random Congressman at meeting: I can't support that. 'Dam' is a swear word. I'd support it if instead of 'dam' we called it a 'god finger'.

Betsy said...

hahahaha - yes, those are all great quotes. I think Jenna gets some of the best lines, like last night:

"I'm not a monster, Kenneth - I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy she poisoned, so another boy would go to town on her."

Anonymous said...

Hey Bets,
Daddy and I just watched that show last night...it is hilarious and wicked funny...Daddy, however, was not impressed...hate to admit it but I think Alec B. plays it just right...and Sarah, I mean Tina, is a hoot; but you missed your calling...you should be a critic for Newsweek...why don't you write for a living?...nonnimus

Vica said...

Adam and I love this show has become one of our Favorites. If you like this you should check out the new show Better off Ted on ABC. So funny!

One of my favorite 30 Rock Quotes
Liz: Why are you wearing a Tuxedo?
Jack: It's after 7 what am I a Farmer.

We are going to be in Tally the weekend of Mothers Day are you going to be in town?

Amy said...

My favorite episode was when Liz dressed as Princess Lea to avoid jury duty. But I would never do that! However, later in the episode, when she set fire to her office...

Unknown said...

I love that you actually dedicated a whole post to the awesomeness of that show. Alan & I have been 30RockObsessed for some time now and it never fails to deliver. I still sing the Werewolf Bar Mitzvah song on occasion.

~Lori