Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bad Idea Jeans

Does anyone remember the early 90's Saturday Night Live fake-commercial skit about Bad Idea Jeans? It was great, and it was back in the heyday of SNL, when they had really talented people on and most things they did were funny.

Essentially, the commercial consisted of a group of guys in matching acid-washed jeans talking to their friends about things they were going to do, and then the words BAD IDEA would appear on the screen.

For example, Phil Hartman would say: Well, he's an ex free-base addict, and he's trying to turn his life around, and he needs a place to stay for a couple of months.

BAD IDEA.

Mike Myers: Now that I have kids, I feel much better having a gun in the house.

BAD IDEA.

Another Phil Hartman: You know, I've thought about it, and even though it's over, I'm going to tell my wife about the affair.

BAD IDEA.

And my favorite, David Spade's character: Normally I wear protection, but then I thought, “When am I gonna make it back to Haiti?”

BAD IDEA.

Then at the end of the commercial, the logo above would appear and the announcer would say BAD IDEA JEANS. It was classic. Check out the video here.

So recently, some other children of the 80s and 90s and I have had some fun coming up with our own BIJ remarks. For example, my cousin-in-law Giffin came up with this one that made me laugh....

"You know, after working dead end jobs and living paycheck to paycheck for the past decade, I'm finally going to make something of myself by going back to school and getting my philosophy degree."

BAD IDEA.

Anyway, I just wanted to take you down memory lane with me if you are in my age bracket. Oh, and if anyone can come up with a new BAD IDEA I would love to hear it - don't be shy....

5 comments:

nikki webb said...

"While packing for my Weekend Party Cruise I forgot my birth control. There are some hot guys on this boat, and I need some lovin...I've decided life is too short, and I'm going to just live in the moment for once!"


BAD IDEA

Betsy said...

Haha good one! The unsafe sex ones are always funny. Here’s a new one:

"You know, I don’t make that much money, but I work hard, and darn it, I’ve always wanted a brand new Hummer. I’m going to go finance one this weekend."

BAD IDEA.

Amy said...

I mean so he looks like he hasn't bathed in awhile, and that one duffel bag he's carrying looks real heavy, like a whole body could be inside, and I'm totally sure he has a permit for the gun in his waistband - poor guy just needs a ride, and dammit, I'm a great Samaritan!!

nikki webb said...

"I think it sounds like fun to take a month of work off so I can ride my scooterbike across the country to Alaska and back..."

BAD IDEA!

Good Ole Uncle Jerry....I'm really impressed he made it! Now he has to ride al the way back. Ouch!

Amy said...

LOL Yeah my dad is slap-crazy!! He's having a great time though! I've only been worried about him once- when it appeared on the map that he was heading his ride straight towards Sturgis SD (The population is mainly Hell's Angels there). I texted him out of concern - you're not taking your little foreign scooter to Sturgis are you? And replied something like Oh hell no!! So that response was evidence of common sense, although the entire trip in itself is admittedly non-sensical.