Sunday, April 13, 2008

West Palm Beach to Tallahassee to Pensacola to Tallahassee

Hey! Well, I'm back from my adventure! Let me tell you about the last few days. On Thursday, my pal Mary and I flew down to West Palm Beach to take a test for work. On the way out to the plane I was confronted with something that looked a lot like this:

That is correct. It was probably the smallest plane I have ever seen in person. I wasn't expecting a 747 but this thing had maybe 10 seats. Anyway, I immediately freaked a little inside, because I guess I tend to equate big planes with safety and little tiny planes with fiery death.

Anyway, my general policy when faced with seemingly bad news situations is to promptly identify the silver lining. I turned to my friend Mary and explained to her how this will be fun, because the plane's diminutive stature would enable us to have a cozy and genuine flight experience - like how flying was meant to be. Riiiight. At this point our pilots boarded and they both looked to be about 21 years old. I could also see straight into the cockpit.

Anyway, we took off and I tried to study despite the alarmingly loud propeller noise. The flight was a little bumpier than normal, but I attributed this to plane smallness. Then it happened. We flew through a large fluffy white cloud (that I had been admiring just seconds before for its glorious fluff) and the plane started shaking violently and jerking up and down. This lasted for about 3 seconds. Now, I'm not wimpy when it comes to flying. Turbulence happens and I'm usually prepared for it, but WTF. The pilots apologized profusely after that but wow - I was so glad to land.

Anyway, after we landed, got our rental car (not an ugly-ass HHR this time), got lost a few times and then finally settled at our hotel, we went out to dinner and walked around downtown. It was really nice. Yay West Palm Beach! I thought I might see a celebrity, but no dice. Lots of old people though.
The test went great, and I was feeling good as we boarded the regular sized plane to Atlanta, where we had to stop over because we had missed out on the last direct flight to Tallahassee from WPB. Yada yada yada, it was 1 a.m. before I got home. Weather in Atlanta. If you know me, you know I am cursed and have spent hours upon hours in that particular airport due to delays. Blast! (fist in air!)

But my weekend improved greatly, since Gavin and I went to Pensacola on Saturday for my nephew Joseph's birthday! They had a big bounce house and fantastic food. Props to my sister Nikki and bro-in-law Jodie for throwing another great party! It was great to see everyone again.


So now I'm back in town and gearing up for another week of exciting legal wrangling. It's just like Boston Legal, really. Just like it. Ta!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I didn't really notice the big bump. I must have been busy scanning the seat pocket for the barf bag before sitting silent with my eyes closed and the fan blasting on my face. I was so shocked at the possibility of puking on a plane that it didn't cross my mind that the child pilot may have been cruising us straight into the ground. I appreciate that he apologized for almost killing us, but I'm not ready to forgive him yet.