Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rant.

So I did my taxes today and I have this announcement to make. The IRS is nothing but a bunch of marauding bandits out to burgle me. They might as well bust in my house under cover of night, tie me down, and abscond with my grandma's jewelry. Grrrrrrr. Snarl. Gnash teeth.

Other than that unpleasantness, it's been a perfectly enjoyable weekend. Gavin and I saddled in with Showtime and watched a few movies this weekend, so here are my reviews:

1) A Mighty Heart.

Angelina Jolie plays Mariane Pearl, the wife of Daniel Pearl, the journalist who was kidnapped and beheaded by Muslim extremists in Pakistan in 2003. Good movie. It makes you think and takes you back to that "9-11 just happened and I am a mixture of scared and pissed off" place. AJ did a pretty good job playing MP, who is biracial and French, so that was good acting.

She must have had only one wig, though, because her hair looked exactly the same in every scene: a big voluminous updo with strategically placed tendrils. Out to dinner - updo. Surfing the net - updo. Going to bed - updo. Waking up - updo. Getting married - updo. That struck me as unrealistic and I tend to pick movies and books apart that have these type of suspension of reality (or in this case, hair) going on.
2) Open Water 2: Adrift

This little gem is a sequel to the movie about the couple who got stranded by their scuba tour boat and left in the middle of the ocean to be devoured by sharks, despite all of their efforts to survive. Out of necessity, this sequel sports a whole new set of characters - a party of 6 friends from college, in their early 30s, who go out on a trip on a big yacht. After some drinks, they all decide to go swimming and jump over the side. No problem, right? Wrong! No one remembers to lower the ladder so they can't get back on the boat and they are stuck in the middle of the ocean with nothing but their wits and a boat they can't get on. This sounds like something that could actually happen. Anyway, they try everything, they panic, yada yada yada, only two survive. Barely. I gave away the ending. It's ok, because it's really not worth watching. You're welcome.

3) 3:10 to Yuma

Ok, look. It's no secret that Russell Crowe is not my fave. Neither is Christian Bale for that matter, since this little incident proved he can't be trusted. So this movie unfortunately started out the gate with two strikes against it. Three, if you count the fact that I generally don't like westerns because the people are always sweaty and/or dirty. This particular western was superdy-duper western. I mean they had tumbleweeds, cattle, saloons, old westerny townsfolk, saloons with swinging doors... every cliche you can imagine. This also annoyed me, but I can't clearly articulate why. Anyhoo... the movie was pretty boring until about the last 15 minutes, which were really good. The problem is you have to watch the first 2 hours so you can appreciate why the last 15 minutes are good.

I also did a lot of walking out on the greenway on Saturday - about two hours on the trails. I didn't set out to walk for that long, but once I got that far away from my car I had to walk back, so that explains that. Great exercise though. I'm also back into cereal, eating some golden grahams lately. That's about it. Lata!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hey - the Open water 2 plot sounds like an episode of King of the Hill that I watched this weekend. (Don't hate!)
Hank, Boomhauer, Dale and Dautrive got stranded off their boat much the same way. Luckily Dale had one match and cigarette in a waterproof case, plus the boat was leaking gas since Boomhauer broke something off the back trying to climb up. Long story short - they set the whole thing on fire and got rescued. Score!

Holly Amburgey said...

I have to disagree with you about 3:10 to Yuma. I like westerns and I thought that movie was really good. I'm not a huge Russell Crow fan either and I am trying to forget Christian's outburst because I love Batman and won't let him ruin it for me.

nikki webb said...

i don't know what "Bale-Burst" you are referring to. I will not google it to find out though, because i have been holding a soft spot in my heart for Christian Bale since he was in Newsies or so many years ago, and I don't want another holywood crush to be crushed like so many before it. sigh.....
thanks for the tips about the movies though....

Anonymous said...

Wow - I watched the Christian Bale thing you linked to - what an a**! I'll look forward to watching his slide into obscurity - shouldn't take long because i didn't know who he was in the first place. Besides, who would want to work with someone like that?